Food Supplements in Nigeria - Overview
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) is responsible for regulating and controlling the manufacturing, import, export, advertisement, distribution of food products and food supplements in Nigeria. No food products may be produced, imported, exported, advertised, sold, or distributed in the country unless they have been registered in conformity with the NAFDAC Act CAP N1 (LFN) 2004, the relevant laws, and the supporting NAFDAC registration guidelines.
If a product is to be marketed, it must be submitted to a process of administrative authorization. The process exists to safeguard public health and ensure the quality of products such as drugs, food, cosmetics, chemicals, biologicals, and medical devices. The guidelines are in the interest of the public and importers of herbal remedies and dietary supplements in Nigeria. A written application for the registration of imported herbal remedies, food, and dietary supplements in Nigeria should be made on the company’s letterhead and send to the Director-General, NAFDAC. A separate application form should be submitted for each product.
As the NAFDAC food product registration process is stringent, it could be cumbersome and tedious if not done in an appropriate manner. The major reason for difficulty in navigating through the process is the lack of working information on what is required. This, in turn, could lead to wasted time and energy as the unprepared applicant goes back and forth. The Freyr team has full expertise in NAFDAC food product registration.
Food Supplements in Nigeria - Freyr Expertise
- Regulatory Strategy for Nigeria.
- Food Product Classification and Compliance.
- Formula Review/Ingredients Assessment.
- Label and Claims Review.
- Compilation and Submission of Dossier to the Health Authority (HA).
- Region-specific Legal Representation (LR).
- Guidance and Support understanding the Regulatory Roadmap.
- GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) Audit Support and Trademark Registration.
- Import Guidance as per NAFDAC Registration Guidelines.
- Regulatory Support for Obtaining Import Permits.
- Support for Warehouse Inspection by NAFDAC.
Food Supplements in Nigeria - Freyr Advantages
- End-to-end Regulatory consultation for NAFDAC food product registration.
- A qualified team of experts with hands-on experience across all categories of foods like health supplements, dietary supplements, nutraceuticals, infant foods, Health Functional Foods (HFFs), health functional beverages, Foods for Special Dietary Use (FSDU), sports nutrition, probiotics, herbal ingredients, etc.
- Support in region-specific Regulatory activities.
- An extensive partnership network across the globe.
- A strong relationship with NAFDAC.
- A structured and cost-effective approach to ensure speed to market for the products.