Cosmetics Product Registration in Nigeria - Overview
The beauty and personal care sectors in Nigeria are blooming, and the increasing competition is driving demand for innovative products in the region. Intensive marketing activities, due to the heightened competition in the beauty and personal care sector, are also contributing to the sector’s growth, making Nigeria one of the most promising emerging markets for cosmetic companies to invest in while exploring local manufacturing opportunities as well.
In Nigeria, cosmetic products are regulated under the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC)Act CAP N1 (LFN) 2004, along with other related legislation and accompanying guidelines. According to the provisions of the Act, cosmetics Products shall not be manufactured, imported, exported, advertised, sold, or distributed in Nigeria unless they have been registered with NAFDAC.
To proceed with cosmetic product registration in Nigeria, an applicant, if a manufacturer outside Nigeria, must file evidence of Power of Attorney (POA) from the manufacturer, which authorizes him to speak for the principal on all matters relating to the latter’s specialties. The original Power of Attorney (POA) should be notarized by a Notary Public in the country of origin and submitted to the NAFDAC, or the contract manufacturing agreement must be notarized by a notary public in the country of manufacturer.
However, the challenging economic environment in Nigeria has slowed down new product development in recent years, with only a few new products introduced by major international manufacturers in the beauty and personal care sector. The lack of evolved supply and distribution channels acts as another key setback in navigating through the region.
To overcome these challenges and ensure compliance in Nigeria, Freyr, as a global Regulatory service provider, offers Regulatory Intelligence (RI) Services to decode the NAFDAC regulations and identify the right channels and products to retain optimum market potential.
Cosmetics Product Registration in Nigeria - Freyr Expertise
- Cosmetic product classification.
- Cosmetic formulation/cosmetics ingredient review.
- Cosmetic claims review.
- Label review as per the cosmetic labeling regulations.
- Dossier compilation.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Assessment/Cosmetic Product Safety Report (CPSR).
- Trademark registration.
- Notarizing of necessary documents.
- Cosmetics registration in Nigeria (NAFDAC Product Registration).
- Legal/Local Representation (LR).
- Post-approval support like re-registration, cosmetics Notification for registration for listing, and endorsement.
- Regulatory Intelligence (RI) services.
- Go-to-market Regulatory support.
Cosmetics Product Registration in Nigeria - Freyr Advantages
- End-to-end cosmetic Regulatory consultation, including Local/Legal representation (LR) services.
- Notarization and trademark registration.
- A qualified team of experts with hands-on experience across all cosmetic categories, such as skincare, hair care, baby care, oral care, beauty products, etc.
- Support for region-specific Regulatory complexities.
- Cost-effective service with quick turnarounds and faster time-to-market